Wednesday, May 28, 2008

How Do You Wear Your Vintage?

Every once in awhile I read a discussion about vintage and what it is, how to wear it, what's trendy, and other related vintage topics. Sometimes I laugh, others I cry, and now and again, I just want to scream. So my question to all today is how do you wear your vintage?
Some people are wearing vintage now because it's popular and that's fine. Go for it, if you want the latest style. These are the ones who will by a new retro garment if it has the right "look". If they happen to find an actual vintage piece with the look and it fits, that's okay too. There have been several eras in fashion where styles repeat from an earlier time, sometimes with a twist. Bubble dresses are popular now, very similar to the '80's dresses. The "80's dresses came from the bubble dress in the '50's. It would work to do the dress from any of these eras. Maxis are enjoying a comeback and the '70's seem to be doing as well as the new ones.
Some people find that a particular era works better for them than the current one. Pin-ups Hair Design caters to those wanting a '50's look. Go-go Amy (a Pin-Ups model) looks like she is the '50's. One of my friends feels he should have been born to live the '50's and '60's (he's a rock 'n' roll kinda guy), so he frequently goes with an Elvis look.
My favorites are the ones who throw on a piece of vintage clothing for the heck of it. This group tends to buck trends and wear whatever they feel like wearing. It may be they're more comfortable in a certain style, or an item jumps out at them saying "this is for YOU". I think that's how my style developed over the years. I have a ton of scarves-all shapes and colors. I often throw on a scarf to complete an outfit since it adds color or wow. I started wearing them in the '70's and they've gone in and out since, but I keep wearing them because I love the look. Becky has developed her own style and I jokingly blame it on Cyndi Lauper. Becky fell in love with her and the layers of clothes and jewelry she wore. So Becky is apt to put a hippie shirt with a new skirt or jeans or a trendy top with polyester pants (houndstooth check is a favorite). We rarely come out of Salvation Army without at least a piece to add to our wardrobes.
I'd love to hear your comments on how you wear your vintage and how it started for you. Here are a couple of items we have to add to your wardrobe!
on eBay

also on eBay



No comments: