Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Pressing Issues

The last few posts have highlighted our clothing on eBay and our website, Heffy's Collections. My partner Becky suggested I write about something that really interests me. She suggested laundry. Now Becky would be the first to concede that laundry does not interest her at all. I may have to twist her arm to even get her to read this blog. I can attest to her aversion for the topic because I watch the ever-growing mound of laundry waiting for attention. She finds my affection for doing clothes a bit weird-no make that a lot weird. Ever since we started selling vintage clothes, my favorite part is taking an item and making it sale-ready. Sometimes I just have to brighten it up a bit, and sometimes it's a major overhaul from removing stains to mending. This is where I form my attachment to the clothes. I like to feel them, wash them, and my favorite-iron them. I have a couple of friends who love laundry like I do, but they specialize in their families' problems. That's okay, but I have learned so much since we started the business. I didn't know how much I didn't know! For those of you interested in a few simple tips, forge ahead and read the rest. The rest of you are likely already gone.

If an item looks dull or feels dirty, the first step is soaking. If it's cotton, water and Biz, 1/3 to 1/2 cup per 5 gallon pail. If you haven't tried Biz (and it's been around forever), you're in for a treat! It is amazing and very gentle. If the item is polyester, use equal parts of non-chlorine bleach and automatic dishwashing detergent. Depending on how grungy, I use 1/3 to 1/2 cup of each in a 5 gallon pail. You can use hot water and if needed, let it cool before you put the clothes in. I first used this to remove the yellowing from hanging too long and it works great. Chances are, you won't need anything else if you use one of these potions first. Soak at least an hour. Rinse them out or dump everything in the washer and wash as usual. Let them hang dry until you're sure any spots are out. Drying (or any application of heat) sets the stain. You'll be singing about all those former problems in no time!

If I have articles of clothing like sweaters, I use baby shampoo. Several fibers (wool, cashmere, angora) are hair, and they react best when treated like your own hair-very gently. I let them soak 20 minutes to an hour.

I could bore everyone to tears with all my laundry hints, so I'll stop for now. If you have questions or would like help with a specific issue, drop me a line in the comment section and I will do my best to help you. As for the ironing, I think I'd have to do a clinic or make a video. Step-by-step instructions are a bit too tough I'm afraid! It's a happy place for me and very satisfying. Yeah, I know, I get to do it all over again after the next wash. Isn't that just too bad :0) :0)

No comments: