Monday, August 18, 2008

Moving along maybe up maybe out

Becky and I had an interesting event a couple of weeks ago. We had an opportunity to pick up the clothes from an estate before the auction began. We have been trying to negotiate with estate appraisers and sellers to give us a go at the clothes. It is difficult to display the clothes, especially if they need cleaning or sprucing up to make them desirable. We don't mind packing them up and then bringing it all home where I can try my hand at bringing them to wearable condition. It's fun for us, and is often more than the seller is willing to do for the return expected. We have made our pitch, but up to now, it didn't go anywhere. Then voila! We got a call to look at the clothes from a house. The owner is a woman in her '90's and the clothes stretch back to at least the '40's. We actually went over twice before a deal was made. Of course, the second trip I didn't bring the bags with us, so Becky returned home for them while I started packing up the clothes. I packed dresses, lingerie, shoes, hats, you name it. One of the closets had an extra pole, allowing a double layer of clothing to be stored. It was dusty and we had no idea really what we were pulling out and packing up. I figured we could look after we got them here, especially since we had paid for them and they're ours now no matter what.

A little sidebar is needed here. We are packing up the house where Becky lives for her upcoming move. I am also packing up the contents for the sale of my dad's estate. So I'm not sure what the rationale is to bring 2 carloads full of clothes into this space. Becky lives and we work in my dad's house. It is full. I have been working on packing it up for 5 months and though I've made progress, it's a long way from done. So we carted in clothes and more clothes. We ran out of places to put them. We started to wonder if we were going to have to put Gus the cat on a coathanger so he had a place to sleep. Talk about dumb and dumber! :0)

The first part of the process is writing down what we have so we can keep track of it. I write down what it is, what it needs, and anything else that will help us in the future. I take this list with me and if I can find the item on it (it's a challenge), I know have start on what to do with it. We looked at clothes and wrote on the list. We did more. We groaned eventually at the enormity of our task. Even worse because we should be packing and such. 700 items later and roughly a week of heavy lifting, we finished. There are clothes down cellar being cleaned. There are clothes in the living room just sitting there. The hall is piled with bags waiting for the laundry. It has sent us into fits of giggles over the craziness of doing this. Hopefully, it will result in fabulous new items for Heffy's Collections after Becky moves and we get situated in the new place. Until then, we'll show you the goodies we have in stock and keep moving toward... well, moving!

This is one we have in stock now, a "50's shirtwaist.
Check it out!

No comments: