Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Heffy the cat

I don't like cats. Now wait, before you accuse me of blasphemy (or worse), I have 2 cats. I have a grandcat. Over the past 35 years, starting with one gray tiger named Ralph, I have had many. Ralph fit in the palm of my hand when he first arrived. He was followed by a black cat I named Wilhemina which was rapidly shortened to Willie when he started prowling and meowling. I have had as many as 5 at one time. I always thought one had to be a real cat person to own multiple cats, but it's not true. You don't even have to like cats. You just have to agree to be owned by one and they just settle right in. Being cats. I hadn't had any cats for 15 years or so when I allowed myself to be bamboozled by my daughter Becky into getting a kitten. The ploy was that it would be my cat and she would help me relax and diminish my stress level. Xenophon moved in and that was the end of lowering stress. She hisses at all of us, runs when we get too close, and generally does all things obnoxious from a people point of view. She won't leave though, being quite content to have the run of the house when we're gone and allowing us to serve as her butlers when needed. If the family is all in the living room, Xen rests in the dining room where she can see us. Go figure. Although I believe I have good judgement, Becky turned on the charm again and Haephestas entered our lives and home. Heffy would repeatedly take a run at the sofa and bang headfirst into it, seemingly never realizing he didn't fit. He would climb 4' up and tree and get stuck because he couldn't figure out how to go up farther-or down. These exploits always made us laugh. I think that's part of why Heffy's name is on everything. Despite being a cat, he makes us laugh. There's a lighter side to Heffy, and we wanted our business to be fun. The work is hard work, but it is fun. He's got eBay, a website, myspace, and a blog. His picture is all over all the things we do. And he makes me smile.

Heffy's Collections



No comments: