Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Mending

It's interesting how things evolve working from home. There was a time when I wouldn't have dreamed of spending time on line in discussion boards or other networking type venues. Too much to do, so little time. Working from home alone for 2 years, I still didn't get into it. Since Becky and I started taking care of my dad and doing eBay, we didn't get out much. As he has declined, we get out less and less. Going to the grocery store is a big deal. The major change began about September when he stopped walking and then (for other reasons) wasn't able to be left alone at all. Some days, not even to go to the bathroom! So, our little world has become really little!

I had been looking at
the discussion board on eBay for Vintage Clothing and Accessories once in a while, they have super info on cleaning stains, restoring clothing, and dating. Then I started looking to see who had questions, what was up, and just general stuff. Becky commented that the "Vinties"-our name for the boardies-had sort of become our social network. She's right. Yesterday, one of our favorites decided she was going to have her own mending marathon and invited anyone else to join in. I have a mountainous pile of repairs that I try to ignore. That's a bit hard. It started as a small corner of my workspace. I couldn't keep the pile from spilling, so I put it in a box. Now the top of the mountain is threatening to block any light from the window about 2 feet above me. If a mending marathon could get me to even tackle ONE item from that pile, I'm all for it! I have a lot of rationalizations for why I avoid the pile like time, etc., but they are...rationalizations. Even the truthful thoughts, like I'm afraid I won't be able to do a given repair, or I'll damage something, still are attempting to rationalize avoidance. I'm scared stiff of that pile. So the Vinties have given me incentive to at least start the process. I committed to repairing 2 items. Given that our camera went to the hospital, this is the perfect time to tackle my mountain. Maybe by Spring I'll see daylight again. Woot!

No comments: