Friday, January 18, 2008

Pop art

I remember going to Albright-Knox Art Gallery as a child and seeing the paintings I had become familiar with like Jackson Pollack's "Convergence" which I loved and "color field" paintings of artists such as Clyfford Still. They had some classic masters-Renoir, Vermeer, Van Gogh, but the museum's focus was modern and contemporary art and those forms were most prominent in the gallery. On one visit there were some new acquisitions (which is probably why we went). There in front of me was a painting of soup cans. Recognizable soup cans, all lined up. I had, of course, never seen anything like it. Nor did I know Andy Warhol. I saw the "100 Cans" before I was aware of pop art or the movement that had hit Europe in the '50's and then this country. Wow!

Pop Art made its way to clothing in the '60's. Paper dresses of Campbell's soup cans, artists' sketches of movie stars and celebrities, along with the comic strip themes all found the way to articles of clothing. It was different. It was fun. There aren't many examples of pop art clothing around anymore (maybe museums), but there are items reminiscent of the pop art clothing of the Sixties. And possibly, we just call it pop art because we like the genre and whatever article of clothing we're handling at the time.




It's just plain fun! Check out our website, you might find more fun!

Heffy's Collections

No comments: